Services at Outwood Parish Church
St John the Baptist, Outwood, is a member of the four churches of the Windmill group consisting of St Bartholomew, Burstow; St Mary, Horne; and Christchurch, South Nutfield.
Outwood Church is joined with Christchurch, South Nutfield, with whom we share the Vicar, other staff and administrative resources.
Outwood Church seeks to offer a range of services to meet the needs of the parish. Service details are published in the village newsletter, 'Outwood News'.
Service information is also posted in the Church porch together with the details of all church services for each church in the Windmill group.
Brief History of Outwood Church
In the middle of the 1800s Alfred and Mary Lloyd were the owners of the Harewoods Estate, an extensive farm and forest area south of Lower Nutfield.
They set about the process of creating a parish and providing a parish church – in the main for their employees. The church building was constructed in a plain 'lancet' style to a design by the celebrated architect, William Burges, who designed Cardiff Castle. In 1869 the church building was completed and dedicated with the creation of the parish of St John the Baptist, Outwood.
The church comprises a nave of five bays and a chancel with a broad, square tower at the west end. This 'saddle-back' tower was added to the church in 1874 by W. P. Manning and contains, unusually, 4 bells. These, full circle, bells are rung regularly by a dedicated group who are always ready to welcome both experienced and untrained applicants to their group.
Access to the belfry is via an octagonal turret built into the south east corner of the tower; it does not extend beyond this level. There is a combined clergy and choir vestry adjacent to the north side of the chancel with a catslide roof over. There is an open porch on the south side of the nave.
The exterior of the church is in local Reigate stone and the interior is brick with timbered beams and an acorn shaped strip wood ceiling. The interior brick finish is quite unique and its pointing is an example of Victorian workmanship at its very best.
Apart from the addition of the tower in 1874 the church is unaltered since 1869.
When the Lloyd family died the estate was willed to the National Trust. The church, which is located on the North side of Brickfield Road, a mile or so from the centre of the village, now stands in the middle of National Trust farm, common and woodland.
Stop Press ... Hot Air Rising!
Visitors to St John's Church are now greeted by a blast of warm air as soon as they open the door. Yes, the new heating system is at last up and running.
More information about the Church Heating project ....
The replacement of the 136-year old church heating system was completed in December 2005. The Parochial Church Council had finally, after two years of negotiations, received the go-ahead for the £23,000 replacement scheme in October 2005. An external boiler now provides warm air, using the existing duct in the floor, to heat the church.
The majority of the cost of the scheme was raised at the 'Auction of Promises' (arranged by Sue McIntosh) which was held at the Lloyd Hall in March 2003. Grants were also provided by the Parish Council and the Tandridge Local Partnership Team. Various local functions over the past few years have also made a considerable contribution to the fund.
Our local builders, Archway Construction, provided the foundations, a hole through the tower wall and internal alterations to prepare for the equipment installation. This work was carried out at short notice after the firm generously made time available in their normal programme of work elsewhere.
Our Churchwarden and local helpers removed the old heating pipes by hand, saving some £2,500 in the process. They were assisted by unknown men with a lorry - who removed the pipes off site free of charge!
The boiler, oil tank and air ducting was supplied by a contractor based in Middlesbrough.
This scheme was made possible in the main by generous contributions of money and of time by village residents. It will help to ensure that the Church remains open and available for the village in the future.
The Parochial Church Council wish to thank everyone in the village for their help and generosity.
|| Position vacant
The Parish Office at South Nutfield is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays 9.00am – 1.00pm
Tel: 01737 821371